Kids Hope USA pairs trusted, reliable, caring adults from one church with elementary aged, at-risk kids of one school. Mentors give one hour, once a week, for one school year and build a relationship with a student. Cornerstone is rolling out Kids Hope USA at Bowen Elementary in Kentwood and at Vanguard Charter Academy in Wyoming. Mentors will go through a background check, and receive video-based training to equip them to be a mentor. Mentors will also receive on-going encouragement and be able to ask questions of the Cornerstone Volunteer who is the Kids Hope USA Director.
At-risk students live at-risk lives, often with no boundaries or ones that make no sense at all. They long for direction, structure and other life basics. There are at-risk children in every school, in every community. Let’s help change that reality together, by showing up consistently, and caring deeply about the child.
What we're looking for:
- Mentors (male and female) who will give one hour, once a week, to meet with one student at the school, during school hours. Training is provided.
- Prayer Partners who will commit to pray for the mentor/mentee meeting each week. Prayer can happen from anywhere. Prayer partners do not have to be on-site at the school.
It's about building a relationship! Take a look at what it's like to be a mentor.
- Love children
- Be ready to listen
- Have your own transportation
- Maintain confidentiality
- Be a regular attendee of our church
- Be there for only one child
- Believe in your child
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Clear a background check
Training is provided.
- Be faithful – one hour each week during the school year
- Mentor visits the student during the school day
- Believe that prayer has the power to change things
- Be faithful
- Make a commitment to faithfully pray for a Kids Hope USA Mentor and child that he/she is assigned.
- Contact the mentor on a regular basis to get a progress report on the child.
- Prayer can happen from anywhere. Prayer partners will not be on-site at the school.
Prayer is the foundation of all we do, so we ask that you pray for your mentor and child on the day that mentoring happens, as well as other times throughout the week.
If you’d like more information, or you have questions, our Kids Hope USA Directors are awesome! They’re happy to talk with you.